Blizzard

Thomas Jones ThomJonesNIU at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 11 03:39:43 UTC 2000

I am starting a research project on the perception of weather and the power
of names of weather events on perception.  I have come across an interesting
set of stories about the word "blizzard" and I am interested in any input.

According to one story, blizzard is of American origin, sometime in the 19th
century.  Another story holds that blizzard comes from "blizzered" from
England and yet another attributes it to a derivation of "blitz."  These
stories all come from the east coast storm of 1888 and may all be incorrect.

Thom Jones