Boxed cards

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Dec 12 13:51:31 UTC 2000

At 6:29 PM -0500 12/12/00, Barnhart wrote:
>In Tom Clark's Dictionary of Gambling & Gaming (Lexik, c. 1987) the
>following entry appears:
>
>boxed card, n. A card facing the wrong direction in a deck; a card
>accidentally turned face up in a pack in which the rest of the cards
>are face down.
>[1968 Wallace Poker 211]
>
>Regards,
>David Barnhart

Hmm.  I assumed that would have been

Frank R. Wallace, _Poker:  A Guaranteed Income for Life by Using the
Advanced Concepts of Poker_ (Warner Books), 1968/revised 1972, 1976,
1977

--but I don't find any "boxed card" on p. 211, so I must have the
wrong Wallace, the wrong book, or the right book but wrong edition.
I do find it in the glossary on p. 318 of my edition, with the gloss
'a card turned the wrong way in a deck'.  (Such a bunch of
prescriptivists, these card sharks.  Why not something less
judgmental, like 'turned the non-standard way...'?)  Anyway, there
doesn't seem to be a proposed derivation for the expression in either
Clark's edition or mine.

larry