Cynical

Joe Pickett Joe_Pickett at HMCO.COM
Wed Dec 13 15:28:21 UTC 2000

We added 2 senses to cynical in AHD4 to address the extended or looser uses
of the word.

Here are the four senses:

1. Believing or showing the belief that people are motivated chiefly by base or selfish concerns; skeptical of the motives of others:
a cynical dismissal of the politician's promise to reform the campaign finance system.
2. Selfishly or callously calculating: showed a cynical disregard for the safety of his troops in his efforts to advance his reputation.
3. Negative or pessimistic, as from world-weariness:
a cynical view of the average voter's intelligence.
4. Expressing jaded or scornful skepticism or negativity: cynical laughter.

Joe Pickett

Joseph McCollum <prez234 at JUNO.COM>@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on 12/14/2000 12:07:56
AM

Please respond to American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

Sent by:  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>