Dept. of Dated Lexicographic Entries (was Re: "Pull any")

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Dec 13 08:51:04 UTC 2000

At 4:33 PM +0000 12/13/00, Megan Jones wrote:

>A quick survey has revealed that "sharking" is still current in England, as
>are "muff-diving" and "sniftering" all meaning "pulling".

Checking the RHHDAS for 'muff-diver'/'muff-diving', I find the
earliest cite for the former is indeed for what I was earlier calling
the more specific sense of this lexical item, but the entry it refers
to is somewhat subjectively phrased:

1930  American Speech V.391  Muff-diver  A pervert of either sex who
is addicted to cunnilinctus.

larry