Dept. of Dated Lexicographic Entries (was Re: "Pull any")

Wed Dec 13 23:53:49 UTC 2000

I didn't want to jump in too soon on this, but now that larry has given the
meaning I learned (in jr. high in greater Louisville), except for the
"pervert" characterization, which does somewhat smack of subjectivism, I
shall concur.

dInIs

; margin-bottom: 0 }  -->n At 4:33 PM +0000 12/13/00, Megan Jones wrote:

> A quick survey has revealed that "sharking" is still current in England, as
>

>are "muff-diving" and "sniftering" all meaning "pulling".
>

> Checking the RHHDAS for 'muff-diver'/'muff-diving', I find the earliest
>cite for the former is indeed for what I was earlier calling the more
>specific sense of this lexical item, but the entry it refers to is
>somewhat subjectively phrased:
> 1930  American Speech V.391  Muff-diver  A pervert of either sex who is
>addicted to cunnilinctus.
> larry

Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages