Speaking of puns (the remarkable German language)

Fri Dec 15 18:27:53 UTC 2000

>We are beginning to formally investigate folk beliefs about
>different languages (not a part of Niedzielski and Preston, Folk
>Linguistics, 2000, Mouton de Gruyter, still in time to get one for
>the Holday gift season I guess).

We have some interesting work on Arabic versus English (which mostly
deals with sociopolitical issues) and some recent work on Japnaese
versus English in which the Japanese "sensitivity to interlocutor"
seems to take first place (even when the topics are more mundane,
e.g., relative size of vocabulary). Terumi Imai presented the latter
at the most recent NWAV.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston