*The* Sound.

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 22 23:03:35 UTC 2000

I don't have any URLs (I did not bookmark them), but if you search on
<oresund bridge> you'll find the comments.

Oresund (umlaut over or slash thru the O, depending on language) is the
channel separating Denmark from Sweden. They just opened the bridge-tunnel
complex that connects the two. The web pages say, in so many words, that
'The Sound' is the usual everyday English term for this body of water
('Flint channel', presumably as in the Flintbek culture of Neolithic Europe,
is the other name).

Not usual, not everyday; but I have no problems believing this is the
routine word found on English-language navigation maps.

Can anyone tie this association down tight? You have to remember that the
North Sea united the shores lining it, much as the Aegean did to its lands.

Mark Odegard.