antedating WUSS

Mon Feb 7 20:50:36 UTC 2000

As many of you may know, Connie Eble (the editor of AMERICAN SPEECH) has been
collecting slang terms from her college-age students at the University of
North Carolina at Chapel Hill since the early 1970s (maybe earlier)? She thus
has a really rich archive of authentic, written (though unpublished)
materials on American adolescent slang. Since most of her students are
southerners, the geographical provenience is somewhat restricted.

Connie tells me that her earliest citation for WUSS is from 1976. As soon as
I get permission from her, I will forward her entire message to ADS-L.

I think we would all do well to check with Connie on all such questions! She
is amazing.