influence of russian on AE

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Fri Feb 11 20:18:17 UTC 2000

I find the association of nudity with "nudnik" strange since "nude" and "nudnik"
aren't even the same sound.  Perhaps it stems from the written word.  I've never
heard it used that way - maybe it's regional.

There is a Russian word "nudnyi" (HYDHbIU approximated in ASCII text) which
means "tedious, humdrum".  The -nik ending is used in Russian as well.