fish nipples, rejumpification, & big hair

Sun Feb 13 22:52:17 UTC 2000

But surely hair-day does have this compound meaning (as various citations
have shown). In which case it is appropriate to ask when that collocation
came about (as one may not ask of, say, fish-nipples, since we know exactly
when it came into being as a nonce exclamatory expression).

dInIs

Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages
Michigan State University