"product" as non-manufactured

Bruce Dykes bkd at GRAPHNET.COM
Mon Feb 14 03:42:28 UTC 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Fitzke <fitzke at VOYAGER.NET>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Date: Friday, February 11, 2000 2:57 PM
Subject: Re: "product" as non-manufactured

>Tangentially, there is business use of the word "product" that I find
curious.
>I  frequently hear representatives speak of the output of their company as
>"product", e.g., an automotive exec. refers to his company having produced
"X
>units of product" this quarter. It's as if the term has become generic for
>anything produced and the speaker is almost dissasociating him/herself from
the
>specific item. My reaction is always, "Are these people ashamed of building
>cars (valves, bags of fertilizer, etc.)?

I think this may stem more from increased exposure of financial commentary
and news, ala CNBC and  financial programs on CNN, to the American public
than to any personal motives.

There's also the possibility that speaker wishes it to be known that he's
flexible, and his skills aren't strictly bound to one industry.

bkd