American Memory, MOA databases

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 15 07:12:32 UTC 2000

    Someone asked about these two databases.  They're searchable!  They're
free!

AMERICAN MEMORY (Library of Congress)
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/amhome.html

MAKING OF AMERICA (University of Michigan)
http://moa.umdl.umich.edu/index.html

    MOA is strictly text, mostly from 1840-1900.
    AMERICAN MEMORY has early movies, photos, African American archives,
folklore interviews from the 1930s and 1940s, rare book archives from
important collections such as Brown and Duke Universities, song lyrics sheets
from 1850-1920--whatever the Library of Congress could get its hands on and
had money to transfer to the site....I looked for "Windy City" because I knew
that the Chicago Haymarket Riot documents from 1886 were recently put on the
site....Surprisingly, there was nothing for "cotton candy."