Enquiry

Kristiina Alas kristiinaalas at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 16 17:04:52 UTC 2000

Dear Sir or Madam,

My name is Kristiina Alas and I am a student at the Department of English
Language and Literature at the University of Tartu, Estonia. I am obtaining
my BA degree and currently working on my thesis. The topic of my thesis is
concerned with signs of diglossia occuring in the English language.I am
particularly interested in the vocabulary differences between the standard
English and the English used within the institutions of the European Union(
the type of language to be found in the documents in English issued by the
EU).By way of example the use of "pigmeat" instead of "pork" can be
mentioned.I would like to look for the reasons as to why and how this usage
has come about and whether the term "diglossia" applies in this context at
all or should this phenomenon be labeled differently.
    Unfortunately the library of the University of Tartu is extremely
limited and I have not been able to access any material relevant to my topic
of interest.I am writing to you to ask for your kind assistance. I would be
most thankful if you could suggets articles published in either in your
journal or elsewhere for me to study. References to other academic
publications are welcomed just as gratefully. I shall appreciate if you
could kindely send me the names and e-mail addresses of the authors of the
articles in order for me to contact them directly. I shall be grateful to
receive any kind of information concerning the subject referred to above.
Looking forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience!

Yours faithfully,
Kristiina Alas (Miss)
e-mail: kristiinaalas at hotmail.com