Fwd: ADS Contact Submission

Grant Barrett gbarrett at AMERICANDIALECT.ORG
Wed Feb 16 23:09:33 UTC 2000

This interesting question came into the ADS web site. Please reply to the email
address below, not to me, although you may want to cc: the list.

FROMADDRESS:    dojabry at aol.com
FIRSTNAME:      Douglas James
LASTNAME:       Bryant
NOTES:  I'm trying to track down a word: veve
It was in a book about Storyville, a red-light district in 19th century New Orleans.
I believe that it means "spirit map" and if it does, then perhaps it might be
related to creole or voodoo contexts. I can't find it anywhere. Can you help? Origin,
meaning, derivation...just anything at all
Thanks