Merriam-Webster definition of parse

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Thu Feb 17 18:48:13 UTC 2000

Today's Word of the Day on the Merriam-Webster site is "parse" -

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/mwwod.pl

For the first time, I think they have missed a definition.

When I use the word "parse" to describe an action not related to grammar, I
intend the grammar sense of the action.  That is, if I parse something, I am
breaking it down into its constituent parts, not merely examining it in a minute
way, or critically analyzing it as defined by M-W.

Is this a personal quirk?

Andrea
--
Andrea Vine, avine at eng.sun.com, iPlanet i18n architect
A word is not a crystal, transparent and unchanging--it is the skin of a