Merriam-Webster definition of parse

Bob Haas highbob at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Feb 18 00:48:51 UTC 2000

Such as?

4. Computer Science. To analyze or separate (input, for example) into more
easily processed components. Used of software.

This is from American Heritage.  I'm not a computer person, Andrea, but I've
heard the term used in a computer context.  I didn't get that your were
quizzing for that sense at all in your first post.  Sorry.

BTW, I first learned parse in reference to the explication of poetry, hand
in hand with scansion.

bob