Southern Swearing

Cynthia Bernstein cbernstn at ANDURIL.MEMPHIS.EDU
Fri Feb 18 15:37:02 UTC 2000

In "Expletives and Euphemisms in DARE:  An Initial Look" (in Language
Variety in the South Revisited, Univ. of Alabama, 1997), Luanne von
Schneidemesser analyzes some expressions identified chiefly with the South
or South Midland:  durn, daggone, dad (as in dad-burn, dad-gum, dad-blame)
biscuit-eater (as in "son of a ..."), good god almighty, lord have mercy,
lordy, swanny (for swear).

Cindy Bernstein