Rings on her fingers, bells on her toes

Stephanie Hysmith sh120888 at OHIO.EDU
Mon Feb 21 02:14:52 UTC 2000

Don't forget "I've got rings on my fingers," a 1909 song by Maurice Scott,
words by Weston and Barnes. The chorus, sung by Irishman Jim O'Shea, goes:

"Sure, I've got rings on my fingers,
Bells on my toes.
Elephants to ride upon,
My little Irish Rose.
Come to your nabob
and on next Patrick's Day,
Be Mistress Mumbo Jumbo
Jittibob J. O'Shea!"

Someone must have remembered the nursery rhyme and made it a catch phrase
of the Gay Nineties.