Empathy suit

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 24 05:23:07 UTC 2000

     From the NEW YORK POST, "Docs get 'fat' chance to learn," 24 February
2000, pg. 4, col. 1:

     First stop on the course at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital is donning a
40-pound "empathy suit."
(PHOTO CAPTION)  WEIGHT AND SEE:  Drs. Xavier Pi-Sunyer (right) and Jim Hill
take off their "empathy suits" used in teaching about how overweight people
do daily tasks.

     Empathy suits?
     I'm away from my databases now, but I didn't find any hits on Deja.com.
People wrote, for example, that Eddie Murphy wore a "fat suit" for the movie
THE NUTTY PROFESSOR.
     Does this euphemism really work?
    "Hey, Monica!  A little too much empathy in the thighs, there!  Know what
I mean?"