New York clam chowder (and more food & drink)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 25 06:45:53 UTC 2000

NEW YORK CLAM CHOWDER  (continued)

    It's embarrassing for me to do a single thing more for New York City.  I
must be a complete chowderhead (F & H 1819--before "clam chowder" 1836).
     "New York clam chowder" is in the MODERN PRISCILLA COOK BOOK (1928), pg.
188.

CLUB SANDWICH (continued)

     "Club-House Sandwiches" is on page 74 of SANDWICHES by Mrs. S. T. Rorer.
 Rorer was a well-known food writer from Philadelphia.  This book is dated
"1894, 1912."  Unfortunately, I don't have the 1894 version.

PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY

    John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK (1999), pg. 235,
col. 2:

     In 1922 J. L. Rosefield of Rosefield Packing Company of Alameda,
California, developed a process to prevent oil separation and spoilage in
peanut butter, and in 1932 began marketing his product under the name
"Skippy" as "churned" peanut butter.  It soon became a favorite sandwich
spread, usually layered with grape jelly, among American schoolchildren, and
today more than half the American peanut crop goes into the making of peanut
butter.
     The MODERN PRISCILLA COOK BOOK (1928), pg. 306, has a "Peanut Butter
Sandwich Filling," and below that recipe is this one:

_SANDWICH FILLING_
1 cup peanut butter
1 3/4 cups blackberry jam or jelly
1 1/2 cups chopped raisins
1 cup pecan or almond meats (chopped)

NYPL MENUS, "COCKTAIL" UPDATE

    The New York Public Library is _still_ entering its thousands and
thousands of menus on the computer.  I'm told that they're now up to 1912.
Fine--can I research stuff before that date, such as the "Manhattan" cocktail
and the "Waldorf" salad?  Well, no.  I was told to call a Marzeuna (?) at
(212) 930-0510, but she wasn't in.
    "Cocktail"/"Cock tail" is still stuck in 1806.  Yes, James F. Cooper
wrote in 1821 that it coined by Betsy Flanagan during the Revolutionary War.
"Cocktail" didn't come up at all in the Pennsylvania Gazette, which has
CD-ROM coverage up to 1800.  It didn't come up in the Performing Arts in
Colonial American Newspapers CD-ROM.  It didn't come up that early in the
American Memory database (which includes Thomas Jefferson's papers).  Looks
bad for Betsy!
    I wrote to the American Antiquarian Society for help.  What stuff is
going online?  "Cocktail" has to be somewhere in the presidential papers of
Adams, Jefferson, or Madison.  Could the AAS please help?
    The American Antiquarian Society never wrote back.