NYPL cookbooks (LONG!!)

Bruce Dykes bkd at GRAPHNET.COM
Mon Feb 28 05:24:30 UTC 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Bapopik at AOL.COM <Bapopik at AOL.COM>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Date: Sunday, February 27, 2000 6:30 AM
Subject: NYPL cookbooks (LONG!!)

>     The real gem of a book here is GANCEL'S CULINARY ENCYCLOPEDIA OF
MODERN
>COOKING (The most complete and concise glossary ever compiled and
published/
>Over 8,000 Recipes and 300 Articles) (1920).  It's an OED gold mine.
Joseph
>Gancel filled the book with whatever term he could find.  There are some
>alcoholic drinks here, so it appears that some terms date from Gancel's
>PETITE ENCYCLOPEDIE CULINAIRE DE LA CUISINE MODERNE (1918).
>     The NYPL copy is "seventh edition, revised and augmented," but I don't
>know anything about the other six.  The Library of Congress catalog shows
>that he also authored GANCEL'S READY REFERENCE OF MENU TERMS: A GLOSSARY OF
>OVER 5,000 NAMES (1915).
>
>Pg. 81 (Soups): _Manhattan_, Cl. small marmite, add green corn quen. and
>sliced beef marrow.

The item I find of interest there is 'marmite. From
http://www.accomodata.co.uk/marmite.htm :

In 1902, the same year as the coronation of Edward VII, the Marmite Food
Extract Company Limited started its life as a public company and national
institution. Having negotiated the acquisition of the patents for
health-giving yeast extract, the directors set up a small factory in
Burton-on-Trent, centre of the British brewing industry where the all
important yeast was readily available.

Although the first experimental extracts were made in November 1902, it took
a couple of years to perfect the recipe. Even so, the MARMITE brand was
awarded two gold medals in 1903, one at the Universal Food and Cookery
Exhibition and the other at the Grocery Exhibition. The popularity of
MARMITE yeast grew steadily, necessitating in 1907 the establishment of a
new factory at Camberwell Green, London. By the outbreak of the First World
War, MARMITE was an established brand, recognised for its nutritious
properties. It was thus ideal for the troops serving overseas in combating
the outbreak of beri-beri and other deficiency diseases prevalent in such
places as Mesopotamia.
------
And an interesting bit from the website gives us 'slimmers' as the Brit
equivalent of 'dieter':

MARMITE is good news for the nation's slimmer's. It contains virtually no
fat or sugar.
----------

Another search brings us the Marmite faq:
http://www.gty.org/~phil/marmite.htm which, while sadly anemic at least
gives us this tidbit:

8—Where does the name "Marmite" come from?
A marmite is a French stock pot or cooking pot—like the one pictured on the
front of the jar and shaped somewhat like the jar itself. The name of the
French pot is pronounced "mar-MEET." The product name may have been derived
from a famous French soup, petite marmite.
------------

Now fans of 80's pop music may be asking about Vegemite. From
http://www.ozchannel.com/vegemite/history.html :

Yeast extract is not only good for you, it's tasty as well. That's why, in
1922, a young Australian by the name of Fred Walker, decided to try to make
a special "yeast extract" that would be as delicious as it was nourishing.
And others may want me to quit now...

>ZWIEBACK
>
>     "Zwieback"--a food item forever destined to come in last.
>     "Norwegian Rolls and Zwieback" are on page 18 of THE GOLDEN AGE COOK
>BOOK (1898) by Henrietta Latham Dwight.

So, it's an 18 page book then? <g>

bkd