shoe-in

James E. Clapp jeclapp at WANS.NET
Mon Feb 28 18:21:14 UTC 2000

Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM wrote:

> Say it ain't so, Barry!

Mark, I'm sure you will "kick" yourself when you realize that Barry's
reference to "shoe-in" to Yale was a deliberate pun.  Recall his posting
of February 10 (subject line: "White Shoe" & Yale University) quoting
Esquire (1953):

     "At Yale there is a system for pigeonholing the members of the
college community which is based on the word "shoe."  Shoe bears some
relation to the word chic, and when you say that a fellow is "terribly
shoe" you mean that he is a crumb in the upper social crust of the
college..."

(Of course, I could be missing some joke on *your* part.  As has often
been remarked, a disadvantage of e-mail is that it is easy to misconstrue
a joke that would have been obvious if communicated in person with the
assistance of a little body language.)

James E. Clapp