Vemtriloquist

Breland, Mary Beth MBreland at HLG.EDU
Mon Feb 28 23:56:15 UTC 2000

I asked an acquaintance who is a ventriloquist about the production of
labials by ventriloquists.  Her answer, copied below, corroborates Mike
Salovesh's post of Feb. 20
Mary Beth Breland

The answer in my opinion is that in one sense the teacher's statement is
correct.  No one can really  make those liable sounds.
We use a series of sound substitutes.  They are listed as follows:

B = D
M = N
P = T

With lots of practice and terrific air control, a ventriloquist learns to
soften the substituted sound against back of his teeth.

A sentence such as, 'A boy bounces a basketball.', would be said
ventriloquilly , 'A doy dounces a dasketdall.'  Yet due to the lack of
facial muscled movement, the air control, the softening of the attack on the
liabels, and the fact that it is used in conversation, a listener believes
that is what is being said.(Also partly because the listener really wants to
believe the dummy is "talking")

Michelle