Words of the Year and the Century

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 10 15:27:06 UTC 2000

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 AAllan at AOL.COM wrote:

> 1932    hopefully

Some people on this listserv might be interested to know that in a
forthcoming article in American Speech, I push back the evidence for
_hopefully_ as a sentence adverb (I have previously traced it to 1851, as
noted in American Speech and the New York Times) to 1702.

Fred R. Shapiro                             Coeditor (with Jane Garry)
Associate Librarian for Public Services     TRIAL AND ERROR: AN OXFORD
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            ANTHOLOGY OF LEGAL STORIES
Yale Law School                             Oxford University Press, 1998
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu               ISBN 0-19-509547-2