on accident

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Fri Jan 14 20:00:17 UTC 2000

!!!??

Until the message below came just now, I was considering giving "The Reply
from the Pacific Northwest," which would have said that until this thread
started I had never heard "on accident."  I was supremely confident it must
be one of those eccentric Easternisms which we westerners would never utter.

The fact remains that I don't recall ever hearing anyone say "on accident"
until this thread started, and I'm quite sure I have never used anything
but "by accident" myself, but apparently it's generational rather than
regional.

Peter Mc.
(getting closer to 60 than he likes)

--On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 11:42 AM -0800 Benjamin Barrett
<gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM> wrote:

> To me, "by accident" just sounds wrong. 33, Seattle.
>
> Benjamin Barrett
> gogaku at ix.netcom.com

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR