The Devil's Dictionary and repetition

Joseph Carson samizdata at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Jan 20 15:42:15 UTC 2000

Greetings to all ADS-Listers,

        One of the foundations of American narrative humor is the reliance
on using three characters to tell the tale.  "There were a rabbi, a priest,
and a parson ...", "There were these three soldiers on leave, one sailor,
one airman, and one marine ....", "You got some of these, some of them, and
some of those, so then you ...", and the list of "dese, dem, doses" goes on,
and on, and on.  Why?  I have no idea ... just my 3 cents worth. - Regards,
Joseph Carson