Youpers

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jan 22 14:38:58 UTC 2000

Youpers (usually spelled that way, not "Yuper") have been so labelled for
generations before Detmer; no wonder the 49ers have been in decline with a
deep thinker like Mariucci in charge.  Hard to believe that he's from the
U.P. and never even heard the label before he began coaching Detmer in San
Francisco a few years ago.  Actually, the Youper dialect is quite
remarkable; there are tapes and CDs by a local group there called Da
Youpers that I play in Dialects class and have students try to identify the
substratum (it's not only "quasi-Canadian", whatever that means, but more
specifically Finnish, among no doubt other strains).

larry