Regional term: shopping buggy

Anita Puckett apuckett at VT.EDU
Tue Jan 25 16:32:03 UTC 2000

"Buggy" is widely distributed throughout the coalfields of southeast
Kentucky and southwest VA.  I've encountered it (and use it) from south of
the Mountain Parkway and east of I75 in Ky, in rural TN east of Knoxville,
and sw VA from Lee County to here, Montgomery County.  I have also heard it
in VWA  counties north and west of here--Mercer, McDowell, Monroe, Logan,
and Mingo.  I also hear it in southwest Ohio, but when other sound features
tell me the speaker is probably Appalachian.

>I used to when I lived in New Jersey, but now I push shopping carts in West
>Virginia...
>
>Carolyn Sturgeon

Anita Puckett, Assoc. Prof.
Coordinator, Appalachian Studies Program
Center for Interdisciplinary Studies
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA   24061-0227
540/231-9526; Fax 540/231-7013