Idiom question

GEORGE THOMPSON thompsng at ELMER4.BOBST.NYU.EDU
Tue Jan 25 16:24:20 UTC 2000

Jasmes Smith notes:
Another term that I have seen used for a female dog is
"slut".  I don't know if this term was ever used
"officially" by breeders or how widespread it's use
was, but I have read it in the context of a breeder
talking about parentage of the offspring.  I don't
recall the name of the book, but it dated from the
first half of the 20th century and was basically a
survival or how-to guide to gold seekers in the Yukon
and Alaska.  It wasn't about dog breeding in its
entirety, but did have a section on selecting and
breeding sled dogs.  "Slut" for "bitch" may be limited
to this region or to sled dog breeders, and may have
fallen from favor even in this context.

I have seen the word "slut" in several newspaper reports from the
first half of the 19th century, with reference to fighting dogs: dogs
trained to kill rats in a prize-ring.  The sex of the dog has not
been otherwise specified, but I have assumed that the word designates
a female.  I can probably offer exact citations, if anyone is
interested.

GAT
GAT