Driving While Mexican; Today's "Hair"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 26 18:06:17 UTC 2000

DRIVING WHILE MEXICAN

   Yes, while I was in Mexico, we were stopped four times to pay bribes to the local police, but this is not about that.
   In today's New York Times, 26 January 2000, pg. A17, col. 2, is "Pulled over for "driving while Mexican"?  Obviously, a borrowing of "Driving While Black."  Col. 1:  "Why were you stopped?" asks the local joke.  The answer: "Driving while Mexican."

MORE "HAIR"

   Hillary Clinton's hair takes up the entire of page two in today's New York Post!  The articles are "Hill: Hair's why folks hate me" and "First lady has a bad 'air' day, too."
   The following from the Associated Press is in today's Daily News, pg. 30:

   NEW HAVEN--Bad hair days affect not just what's on your head, but what's in it.
   A Yale University study of the psychology of bad hair days (YALE GETS FUNDING FOR THIS??--ed.) found that people's self-esteem goes awry when their hair is out of place.  They feel less smart, less capable, more embarrassed and less sociable. (...)

  Excuse me for a minute while I get a comb.