Suscribe

Anne Lambert annelamb at GNV.FDT.NET
Wed Jan 26 19:59:19 UTC 2000

My Old English dictionary has "maeg" 3 sg. preterite "meahte" as "to be
able" but adds "may' as having permission or power."  I think of "may" as
being more formal, and it is seldom  used now in the maning of getting
permission. Readers of the Little House books will remember h ow often
Laura says "Can I..." and is corrected by Ma: "May, Laura."  Now we use
"can."  I think of "may" and "might" the same way they are in OE: present
and past; but as Joseph Carson says "might" may (Ha!) refer more to a
particular action.