1-2-1 versus 2-1-2

Donald M. Lance LanceDM at MISSOURI.EDU
Sat Jan 29 21:31:19 UTC 2000

I was gonna stay out of this phonological quagmire of suprasegmentals, but....
Language was invented to allow people to say what they want to -- logically or logic
notwithstanding.

 bad  hair  day
   1      1      1
(  2      1)     1        (adj + n stress: hair that is bad)
( 3   -   1  +  3)      (primary-tertiary compound noun stress:
                               day characterized by bad hair,
                               like bird characterized by blackness:
                               blackbird 1 - 3)
The + is "plus juncture," which is realized with lengthening
of the preceding syllable.
I have put - between 3 and 1 in the third cycle to
indicate "loss of juncture" as 'bad' and 'hair' slosh together.

 bad  hair  day
   1      1     1
   1  (   1    3  )     (compound noun: day characterized by hair)
(  2  +  1    4  )    (adj + noun)
(  2  +  1    3  )    (ad hoc rule invented to fix unrealistic stress)
Here, 'bad' rather than 'hair' gets the lengthening, whether ambiguously slight or
exaggerated as indicated below by Ron Butters.

> In a message dated 1/26/2000 3:13:58 PM, preston at PILOT.MSU.EDU writes:

> > Here's the problem. I believe that "bad hair day" is like the first
> > ("bad-hair day"), but I pronounce it (and have nearly always heard it
> > pronounced) like the latter.
> >
> > Wuzzup?
> >
> > dInIs
> >  >>

As Rudy Troike pointed out, the "difference" between level 2 and level 3 stress is pretty
messy from one part of the country to another and from one speaker to another.  Since the
sloshing I referred to earlier is a relatively strong phonotactic phenomenon, it is easily
transferred, not for the sake of euphony but for that ole bug-bear "ease of
articulation."  So you mean it one way, but the devil makes you say it the other way.
Just my WAG, dInIs.

DMLance