performance/preformance

Bob Haas highbob at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Jan 31 14:39:59 UTC 2000

Oh, yes.  I've heard in words like "preformance" and "preform," and also in
the word "southren" for southern.  I don't hear it as much as I used to do.

I have no idea of the cause, but I remember thinking at one time it might be
a form of hypercorrectivism perhaps caused by misreading.  Maybe it's all a
phenonmenon traced back to dyslexia.  But I doubt it.  (Very much.)