performance/preformance

Mon Jan 31 17:02:13 UTC 2000

In a message dated 1/31/2000 11:32:44 AM, lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK writes:

<< But isn't there more than just metathesis going here?  In the performance/
preformance examples, they're changing one prefix into another (more
common/transparent?) prefix.  Is this also a case of some reanalysis?
People may do perform -> preform and pervert -> prevert, but do they ever
do purple -> preple or person-> preson?  I doubt it, since in the latter cases
people are less likely to interpret the first syllable as a latinate prefix.
(Or should that be a perfix?) >>

Maybe stress has something to do with it, too: <PURple> and <PERvert> are
disyllabics stressed on the first syllable (when people say <PREvert> it is a
self-conscious joke in most cases, in my experience). In any case, doubt that
people think of the first syllable of any of these words as a prefix. Nobody
says <PER-game announcements>.