singular debris?

Joseph McCollum prez234 at JUNO.COM
Sun Jul 23 01:59:41 UTC 2000

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 17:53:49 -0500 Pafra & Scott Catledge
<scplc at GS.VERIO.NET> writes:
>That usage is more of a limited count noun than a plural.  I do not
>think
>that you would hear two debris anymore than you would two guts; you
>could
>hear "he's got lots of guts" as an alternative to "a lot of guts."

Lots of junk were scattered on the beach vs.
Lots of junk was scattered on the beach...
("of junk," "of debris," or "of things" is irrelevant.)

The subject of "scattered" is "lots."
Plural:  Is it Lot 1 of junk, Lot 2 of junk, ... Lot n of junk?
Singular:  the "lots of junk" considered as one object, as in
        "ham and eggs is my favorite breakfast."