Pop goes the weasel Was: Eenie Meenie

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Mon Jul 10 13:44:22 UTC 2000

Aaron asks:

> Speaking of these children's, er, songs (?), what are the words to the
> song about a monkey and a weasel?  When I first heard it in Scotland,
> there was something about a thrupenny bit and there weren't any bushes.

We discussed this about 5 years ago, so it might be on archive somewhere.
There are many different verses to this song.  The mulberry bush verse is
the main one sung in the US, but it's virtually unknown elsewhere.  The
weasel is really a cobbler's tool--it seems to have originally been a
cobbler's drinking song and has been reanalysed much.

Lynne