'kife' vs. 'kipe'

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Thu Jul 13 15:11:13 UTC 2000

From:    JP Villanueva <jvillanu at CTC.CTC.EDU>

: I'll corroborate 'kipe,' although I have some vague feeling it should be
: spelled with a "y."

Interestingly, in her e-mail reminding me to ask the list, Jeanne spelled
the Northwesterners' version as 'kype' (which appears in DARE, according to
a previous post) and everyone else's as 'kyfe' (which isn't given). I used
an 'i' in both of them 'cause i can't even begin to imagine spelling 'kife'
with a 'y'.

: Other Northwestisms:  "to cap"--to insult, mostly used in Seattle.
: "greener"--hippie, used in Olympia...

I doubt it at some level, but i have to wonder if the term 'greener' is
related to the term 'granola'--that is, did one exist and then trigger the
other one?

<snip>

David Bowie                                       Department of English
Assistant Professor                            Brigham Young University
db.list at pmpkn.net              http://humanities.byu.edu/faculty/bowied
   The opinions stated here are not necessarily those of my employer