michigoose and michigas

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 14 01:40:45 UTC 2000

At 3:04 PM -0400 7/13/00, Frank Abate wrote:
>Barry
>
>Michigander is the fem. form.  The masc. is Michigoose.

vice versa, rather.  "goose" is one of the relatively rare birds and beasts
in which the female is the unmarked.

>Michigas looks like the Yiddish word as some people pronounce it. I believe
>it is actually spelled "mishuganah" or variations of the same. In New
>Jersey, in the 60's, it was pronounced ma-shugah. The best definition I have
>heard is "sorta crazy, in a nice way".
>
>Sharyn Hay, RNC, MSN

different words, actually.  "mishegass" is a noun ("Don't give me any of
that ____"); "meshugenneh"/"meshuggeh" is an adjective with the meaning you
describe, although it can be used for not-so-nice crazy.  Barry was not
actually attempting to relate "mishigas" to Michigan--trust me.

Larry