Motor City; Michigander; Michigas

jester at PANIX.COM jester at PANIX.COM
Fri Jul 14 18:16:18 UTC 2000

>    "Motor City" is not on my online OED.  I guess they forgot.

It'll be there when we roll around to "mo-". But can
you provide citable versions of these various quotes?
We don't have anything as early as you have.

> -------------------------------------------------------- >
MICHIGANDER

A lot of clippings in the "Names" clipping file attribute this to
Abraham Lincoln in 1848.  A quick Making of America database check
didn't turn up any earlier cite.  I have a nice "Michigander" cartoon
from the 1850s.

Then you'll be delighted to hear that long before the OED Online
rolls around to "mo-", it will include, under "mi-", an 1835
example of _Michigander_!

Jesse Sheidlower
OED