Wolvereen/Wolverine

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jul 15 23:58:40 UTC 2000

WOLVEREEN/WOLVERINE

   I looked through the DETROIT FREE PRESS (actually, DEMOCRATIC FREE PRESS back then) for 1831-1836 and the DETROIT COURIER in 1832, and I failed to find a "wolvereen/wolverine" that beats the DA's 1834.  I might have it among my Hoosier papers (1833) and Davey Crockett Almanacs (1830s) at home.  "Wolverine State" came a bit later--Michigan wasn't a state until 1837.
   DETROIT FREE PRESS, 30 March 1836, pg. 3, col. 4:

   ..."Westward ho!"  But yesterday committees in Congress report favorable to the claim put in by Ohio for a portion of the territory heretofore occupied by Michigan, and to day arrive in our city a committee from the Wolvereens, with a new city plat--another HAVRE,--being a point of land left them and forming a Lake Harbour for Michigan, and in opposition to _Manhattan_ and _Toledo_ gone over to the Buckeyes.

   I'll walk around some more abandoned Detroit buildings before I go home...I was accosted twice by bums while eating a sandwich at Subway...The new stadium is nice.  How could I tell the guy next to me that I solved the meaning of "fan"?