New thread--a curious thing

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Tue Jul 18 15:59:49 UTC 2000

Bob Haas wrote:

> How many of you use the interjection "yipes" as opposed to "yikes"?  This is
> an odd question perhaps, but I've always used "yikes."  When I recently
> attempted to use it in an e-mail, my spell-checker on Outlook Express called
> me on it.  I didn't find yikes in the American Heritage, but I did find
> yipes.  I grew up with yikes, but I couldn't begin to tell you where I got
> it (so if you'd please send money for research . . .).
>
> I'm guessing that yikes is a variant of yoicks, but I have no idea whether
> this is true or not.  I'm just curious:  yikes or yipes or yoicks?  Which do
> you use?

Scooby Doo is ringing a loud bell, here.  Since it's been so long, I
can't say,
but I think they say "yikes" along with "zoikes" and variations on the
theme.
Anybody with the Cartoon Network?

--Aaron

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                  Departments of English Language and
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron       Theoretical & Applied  Linguistics

Bide lang an fa fair  \\  //
                       \\// /