New thread--a curious thing

Bob Haas highbob at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Jul 18 17:38:32 UTC 2000

Thanks for the feedback from everyone.  I'm not so much gladdened by the
results (I'm not alone in my yikes-ness!) as I am happy to have my curiosity
relieved.  I grew up in the the mountains of NC--pretty heavily English and
Scottish influence--but I'd not be surprised to learn that I might have
picked up yikes from comic books.  I took my first reading steps with Dick,
Jane and Sally, but I learned to fly with Superman and Batman and
Spider-man.  No discrimination between DC or Marvel.

BTW, yipes sounds very strange to me.  It has the resonance of yikes, but
sounds like one must clean up after it, as in: "He had a bad case of the
yipes."

Yikes!