New thread--a curious thing

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Thu Jul 20 12:27:15 UTC 2000

Webster's New World College Dict has 'yikes' and 'yipe'.  'Yikes' is
x-referred to 'yipe'; it is a later addition -- wasn't in the 1980 copyright
update of the Second Edition, but is in the first copyright of the Third,
1988.  No geographical label for either entry, so presumably the evidence is
for currency of both in the U.S.

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt
Merriam-Webster, Inc. P.O. Box 281