"increasing" use of variable TRY AND

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Thu Jul 20 13:08:55 UTC 2000

I just tried to check on the relative frequency of "try and" and "try to" in
our citation database, but the thing froze up on me.  However, just to
reiterate the basic usage issue, here is an excerpt from  Merriam-Webster's
Dict of English Usage:

"The use of _try and_ in contexts where _try to_ would be possible has been
subject to criticism since the 19th century.  The issue continues to enjoy
great popularity, although a number of usage commentators, including Fowler
1926, Evans 1957, and Follett 1966, are on record as recognizing that _try
and_ is an established standard idiom. . . .

"The basis for objecting to _try and_ is usually the notion that _try_ is to
be followed by the infinitive combined with the assumption that an
infinitive requires _to_.  This is the same mistaken assumption that has
caused so much trouble over the so-called split infinitive  . . .

". . . _Try_ did not appear as _try and_ until the 17th century, when our
familiar sense of the word was first established.  Interestingly, the
earliest example for the "make an attempt" sense in the OED involves the
_try and_ construction, so _try and_ may actually be older than _try to_."

There's more interesting stuff in the _try and_ article.  Included, by the
way, is a quotation from a letter by Jane Austen written in 1813: "Now I
will try and write of something else."

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt
Merriam-Webster, Inc. P.O. Box 281