[Fwd: can/can't]

Donald M. Lance LanceDM at MISSOURI.EDU
Sun Jul 23 23:20:31 UTC 2000

Thanks, Arnold, for taking the discussion beyond the level of "Well, that's the way I
understand it."  One might, smirkingly, say, "Well, Arnold said, "I'll see if I can't
explain all of this by demonstrating that there's a tight fit between logic and human
language.'"  The late Jim McCawley might respond, "Yes he did, and he couldn't, but
nevertheless it was an interesting disquisition."

We literalists tend to respond to implicatures in others' choices of words, but we still
fully understand that "ain't got none" is not a positive and that "see if I can't" really
means "see if I can" in everyday parlance -- we just can't pass up the opportunity to say
something about such utterances.  At the micro level, there is something about English
negatives (especially the second one in a concatenation of something-or-others) that
mitigates negative implicature in certain everyday expressions.  Robin Williams in the
early stage of his millennial robotness would misunderstand these expressions, but the
genius who kept fixing him up had him miraculously understanding such expressions by the
end of the story.

DMLance