WITHIN in sports journalism

Mike Salovesh t20mxs1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU
Mon Jul 24 23:28:13 UTC 2000

Frank Abate wrote:

> Have others noted the use of "within" in sports play-by-play reportage as in:
>
>   "with that basket, they are now within one" [when the score differs by one
> point]
>
> I've heard it during basketball, baseball, and football games, at least.  Is
> it new-fangled for one to say that the team behind is "within" the specified
> number of point(s) that they are actually behind by?  OED examples at "within
> prep." don't quite point out this usage, as I read them.
>
> Frank Abate

What it suggests to me is "within one . . . " [point of tying the
game].  An alternative would be "need two . . . " [points to take the
lead].  Expressed that way, it doesn't sound all that new-fangled.

-- mike salovesh                    <salovesh at niu.edu>
PEACE !!!