Drinking the Kool-Aid: a new idiom

Miller, Jerry jmiller at FRANKLINCOLLEGE.EDU
Tue Jul 25 06:00:46 UTC 2000

To back up what Robert said below, I know a sports columnist at the
Indianapolis Star who has been using it steadily since the formation of the
Indy Racing League (1996) to describe the behavior of those who defend the
IRL as a viable, or even better, alternative to CART (which remains the
premier Indy-car circuit). And that is in a tangible newspaper, not a
virtual one (and, knowing the columnist, I doubt that he is deep into
cyberspeak). In fact, he tried to refer to the location of the Indy
speedway, which is actually 16th Street and Georgetown Road, as 16th and
Jonestown, but his editors expunged it.

Jerry Miller

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Julia Van Nutt [SMTP:cobtown at MINDSPRING.COM]
        Sent:   Monday, July 24, 2000 4:04 PM
        To:     ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
        Subject:        Re: Drinking the Kool-Aid: a new idiom

        The term "Drinking the Kool-Aid," has been around for some time. It
        dates back to the Jim Jones tragedy when all of his followers, or
        true believers, voluntarily drank what they knew to be poison laced
        Kool-Aid. Since then, I have heard the term used to describe
        unquestioning obedience and belief, often in contradiction to
        overwhelming logic.
        Robert Van Nutt