Chocoholic

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 25 08:37:23 UTC 2000

_chocoholic._  A slang term for a person with a very strong appetite for
chocolate.  The term, a play on "alcoholic," gained currency in the 1980s.
--John Mariani, ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK (1999)

     I am a chocoholic.
     Fred Shapiro did "workaholic," but I don't have his "chocoholic" handy.
It isn't in the ADS-L archives.
     Today, on AOL news, it's announced that someone has invented a patch for
"chocoholics."  I can be cured!
     But who wants to be cured of chocolate?  What'll I eat then, broccoli?
     I've been going through the LOS ANGELES TIMES.  The Thursday food
section in that paper is just magnificent.  Julia Child and James Beard both
had weekly columns.  A "Border Lines" column gave Mexican recipes--every week!
     From the LOS ANGELES TIMES, 7 June 1977, "YOU" section, pg. 10, col. 1:

     But for chocoholics, we've also mentioned the most powerful chocolate
sold at each parlor.