SEE IF/WHETHER as embedded Q (Zwicky's suggestion)

Tue Jul 25 15:08:31 UTC 2000

In a message dated 7/25/00 12:45:31 AM, rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU writes:

<< Also, in varieties that can invert auxiliaries in embedded questions, my
sense is that this is possible (though not being a native speaker I can't
be sure):

        He asked me to see IF I couldn't pry the lid off.

        He asked me to see COULDN'T I pry the lid off.

I think that this would have to be "He asked me to see COULD I pry the lid
off" (no negative); "*He asked me to see COULDN'T I pry the lid off." I'm not
a native speaker, but I have been recording these constructions for 30 years
here in North Carolina.