Fwd: Samples of Laramie (Wyoming) speech

Karl Krahnke krahnke at LAMAR.ACNS.COLOSTATE.EDU
Wed Jul 26 18:10:15 UTC 2000

The University of Wyoming is in Laramie.  There might well be someone there in
the English Department who does a bit of dialectology.  There is no real
linguistics there though.  Laramie is 50 miles up the road from where I am in
Fort Collins, CO, and, while I have not looked at Laramie specifically, it is
generally part of the Rocky Mountain/Colorado/Front Range-generally
western-mostly Midland-mixed-feature area.  I don't know what motivates the
interest, but we need to be careful about the name and the image.  Laramie and
neighboring Cheyenne are not romantic, western, cowboy outposts full of
colorful, relic ruralisms (though they try to play that up -- "Frontier Days"
is currently going on in Cheyenne).  They are both on I-80 and have experienced
a lot of the population movement that is typical of southern Wyoming (energy
development).  There is, of course, a background of rural ranchers, and that
may be what the inquiry is about.  I know of no specific studies on it though.

Laramie/Cheyenne local TV news is easily available here in Fort Collins.  The
talking heads are from who knows where, but there are certainly interviews.  If
the poster wishes, I could maybe record some and send it on.

Karl Krahnke
Colorado State University